Therapeutic Massage includes Swedish Massage and Advanced Therapeutic Massage. The foundation is an in-depth science curriculum with a client-centered approach to massage, where clients are active participants in their own therapeutic process. Students develop excellent palpation and technical skills, and are well trained to respond to the needs of clients ranging from stress and relaxation to repetitive use syndromes, postural tension, overexertion, and auto, work, and sports related injuries.
Students first train in Swedish Massage for relaxation, stress reduction, relieving muscle tension, and improving circulation and range of motion. It serves as a framework with which other techniques may be combined. Students advance their sciences by taking courses in Kinesiology and 3-Dimensional Anatomy. In the 3-Dimensional Anatomy course, each student builds the muscular system in clay on a skeletal model. Students progress into deeper and more therapeutic massage techniques with Advanced Therapeutic Massage. This course presents a regional approach and includes trigger point therapy (Travell), cross-fiber frictioning (Cyriax), and myofascial release techniques (Barnes). Students are taught to address common soft tissue conditions and injuries for clients who have acute and/or chronic pain or limited range of motion. Students learn an anatomically precise, structural approach to massage therapy as developed by founder Jackson Petersburg, that he has successfully used in his practice for over 35 years.
Increasingly, therapeutic massage is being sought by the public for its therapeutic benefits, by medical professionals for treatment of their patients, and by researchers who are documenting its wide array of therapeutic benefits and applications. The Therapeutic Massage Diploma Program at CenterPoint provides the opportunity to gain a high level of skill and knowledge that is necessary to become a successful massage therapist. If you are looking for a massage training program that provides the therapeutic tools necessary to help people relax, reduce stress, recover from injury, manage pain, and improve well-being, this is the program for you.
By completing CenterPoint’s Therapeutic Massage Diploma Program the student will:
1. Acquire proficiency and competence in Swedish Massage and the anatomically specific rehabilitative massage techniques taught in Advanced Massage Techniques.
2. Develop a comprehensive understanding of the structure and function of the human body.
3. Obtain a practical working knowledge of anatomy, kinesiology, physiology, and pathology as it pertains to the practice of therapeutic massage.
4. Be able to describe and explain the effects of massage on the human body, including benefits and contraindications.
5. Be able to summarize the psychological and emotional aspects of massage therapy, and effectively communicate this to clients.
6. Provide effective and beneficial massage therapy to a varied client population.
7. Cultivate the professional skills necessary to develop and operate a massage therapy practice, or gain employment in an establishment offering massage therapy services.
8. Develop an appreciation of one’s own body and the importance of self-care, including an understanding of the principles of body mechanics in order to promote safety and prevent injury while practicing massage therapy.
*Daytime courses **Evening courses
Gainful Employment Disclosure: Therapeutic Massage GE